Town & Country Homes
Stourport-on-Severn is uniquely the only town in Britain built solely as a result of the coming of the canals. Before the growth of the town there existed a small hamlet called Lower Mitton. Two black and white houses circa 1600 can still be found in
The staffordshire and Worcestershire canal linked the River Severn with the Trent and Mersey and as a result, after Birmingham, Stourport became the busiest inland port in the Midlands. The canal opened to Stourport in 1771 and by 1812 five canal basins had been built. In 1775 the first Stourport Bridge across the Severn was built by the Canal Company.
The town quickly expanded and by the 1780's there were brass and iron foundries, a vunegar works, tan yards, spinning mills, carpet mills, barge and boat building yards, warehouses, shops, houses and inns.
The railway arrived in 1862 and posed a major challenge to the canal. Following the arrival of the railway the town extended out to Newtown with Brindley Street being the main arterial road through the new residential area.
Today, Stourport On Severn has developed into a popular tourist town with many attractions and events for all the family to enjoy.